The dissertation defense of Alexey A. Kazmin on the topic “Firm’s Innovation Activities and Competition Intensity: Accounting the Factor of Technological Level of Economic Sectors” nominated for Candidate of Economic Sciences degree on the specialty 08.00.05 – Economics and Management of National Economy (Innovations Management) will be held at GSOM SPbU on the session of Dissertation Council D 212.232.69 on June, 06th, 2016.
Dissertation research was conducted under scientific supervision of Nadezhda V. Pakhomova, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Professor, Professor of Economic Theory Department. The opponents on the dissertation are Tatiana V. Ponomarenko, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Professor of Organization and Management Department of National Mineral Resources University (Mining University), and Mikhail A. Shushkin, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Professor, Professor of Marketing Department. Leading organization on the dissertation is Saint-Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics.
The goal of the study is to analyze with the use of theoretical and statistical approaches the character and forms of relationships between firm’s innovation activity and competition intensity with specific focus on the factor of technological level of economic sectors with justification of recommendations for competitive business strategies and government policy.
To achieve this complex goal several tasks were set and implemented:
- generalization, systematization and analysis of key approaches within which the essence of firm’s innovation activity is considered, classification of its major forms and assessment parameters with identification of their strength and weaknesses, justification of author’s view on definition of firm’s innovation activity as a multi-aspect economic category;
- development of original approach to the analysis of firm’s innovation activity strategies from neo-institutional perspective accounting for accompanying organizational problems and inherent advantages with the focus on the choice of suitable ratio between these strategies on the basis of transaction costs and benefits comparison specific for their closed form and conditions of cooperation;
- systematization of theoretical and empirical approaches to the analysis of relationship between firm’s innovation activity and competition intensity, specification of the analysis’ subject for disclosure of theoretical and practical aspects of the factor of technological level of economic sectors ;
- conducting regression analysis of relationships between innovation activity effectiveness and various firm’s individual structural characteristics taking into account the factor of technological level of economic sectors with the data on 1757 firms included in the list of world’s most innovative firms in 2013 which are grouped in control samples by the factor of innovation intensity (high-, medium- and low-innovative);
- development of recommendations on the basis of generalization of international experience on alternatives and tools of government policy realization for firm’s innovation activity stimulation.
The text of the dissertation and the abstract of the thesis (avtoreferat) is available in the Library of Saint-Petersburg State University: 199034, Saint-Petersburg, Universitetskaya emb., 7/9, and on the website of SPbU by the link