Graduate School of Management SPbU research activities are presented in the form of organized research as well as individual research projects. There are three main areas/programs of GSOM SPbU research that reflect core competencies accumulated over the previous period and are relevant to the School strategy:
- strategic management (including strategic marketing) in the context of business globalization and knowledge-based economy development;
- organizational dynamics in Russian economy context;
- business-society interaction including institutional reforms issues (particularly in healthcare and education).
These major research areas are supported and developed through a network of GSOM SPbU research centers, issues of doctoral dissertations produced in GSOM SPbU, research conferences and workshop, as well as partnership with leading international and Russian research centers.
The main criterion of GSOM SPbU faculty research success is publication of the research results in leading international (i.e. included in ABS List and FT-45) and Russian (according to RINTS the impact-factor) academic journals.
GSOM SPbU research support is based on the principle of co-financing. Recently, of the School has been about 50 million rubles. The main sources of the consolidated annual R&D budget are competitive grants from Russian governmental (including grants as part of St. Petersburg University 2020 Development Strategy), foreign governmental research support funds and private sector Russian and international funds, as well as targeted research projects funding from GSOM SPbU corporate partners and other companies.
Student interest towards research is stimulated by a number of regular GSOM SPbU events, including Annual Business Plan Competition, as well as other international and Russian professional competitions. GSOM SPbU students have been prizewinners in these competitions.
Recent innovative changes in academic research organization have led to major advances:
- GSOM SPbU professors regularly publish in leading peer-reviewed journals of A and B categories of ABS list: Human Resource Management, Organization Studies, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, International Journal of Human Resource Management, International Review of Financial Analysis, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Small Business Management, Research Policy, Canadian Journal of Economics, International Journal of Production Economics, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Industrial and Corporate Change, Industrial Marketing Management, International Journal of Operations & Production Management;
- the research output of GSOM SPbU faculty in case development has considerably grown, many of which are registered in The Case Centre (until 01.07.2013 - European Case Clearing House),
- 8th international conference “Game Theory and Management” was held in 2014,
- the International Conference «GSOM Emerging Markets Conference: Business and Government Perspectives» was held in 2014,academic journals published at GSOM SPbU took the leading positions according to the The Russian Science Citation Index — Russian Management Journal holds the 3rd place in RSCI list of impact factors of academic journals in economics and Vestnik (Herald) of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series holds the 1st place in RSCI list of impact factors of academic journals of Series of Vestnik (Herald) of Saint Petersburg University (e-library.ru).
GSOM SPbU Research Activities
Research Book 2014 (PDF)
Research Book 2013 (PDF, 1Mb)
Research Book 2012 (PDF, 7Mb)
Research Book 2011 (PDF, 9Mb)
Two leading national research journals on management: