Associate Professor, Department of Strategic and International Management
Director of the PwC Center for Corporate Social Responsibility
Director of the «Project Management for Social Entrepreneurs» program
EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC DEGREES
- Corporate social responsibility: strategic integration and competitiveness (Executive Program), ESADE Business School/Stanford Graduate School of Business, Barcelona, 2008.
- The Duke program for manager development (Executive Program), Duke University Fuqua School of Business, 1994.
- Candidate of Science in Economics (First Doctoral Degree), St. Petersburg University, 1987.
- Doctoral Program, School of Economics, St. Petersburg University, 1984–1987.
- Specialist Degree in political economy (with distinction), School of Economics, St. Petersburg University, 1981.
- Evolution of the corporate social responsibility (CSR) concept
- CSR and strategic management
- Corporate social performance management
- Social entrepreneurship
SELECTED PAPERS AND PUBLICATIONS (TOTAL AMOUNT OVER 50)
Monographs (all in Russian):
- Blagov Y. Corporate social responsibility: the evolution of the concept. Graduate School of Management. 2010.
- Blagov Y., Djomin V. Science and space: the SMC strategy. St.Petersburg University. 1991.
International and National Reports:
- Review of UN Global Compact LEAD pilot phase. The Academy of Business in Society (EABIS), PRME, Ashridge Business School. January 2013 (Head of the SPbU GSOM research group).
- Report on social investments in Russia 2008: integrating CSR principles into corporate strategy / Y.Blagov, S.Litovchenko, E.Ivanova (eds). Moscow: The Russian Managers Association. 2008. (Lead author).
- Report on Social Investments in Russia — 2014: creating value for business and society /Y.Blagov, I.Sobolev (eds). St.Petersburg. ATM Kniga, 2014 (Lead author).
- Report on Corporate Philanthropy in Russia. In: All about leaders 2014: the national “Corporate Philanthropy Leaders — 2014” project. Moskow. The Donors Forum. 2014 (co-authored with A.A.Petrova-Savchenko).
- Analytical research on corporate philanthropy in Russia. In: Companies’ practice in philanthropy and social investments. Moscow. The Donors Forum. 2011 (co-authored with A.A.Petrova-Savchenko).
- Analytical report for People Investor 2009 research / People Investor 2009: innovation approach to business in times of crisis. Moscow: The Russian Managers Association. 2010. (Lead author).
Papers in Academic Journals:
- Corporate philanthropy in Russia: evidence from a national awards competition // Corporate governance: the international journal of business in society. 2012. Vol. 12. Issue 4. P. 534–547 (co-authored with A.A.Petrova-Savchenko).*
- Responsible leadership and “shared value” — the new Russian experience // EuroCharity Yearbook 2011/12: Leadership for sustainability. 2012. P. 80–81.
- Corporate responsibility and emerging markets // Corporate governance: the international journal of business in society. 2011. Vol. 11. Issue 4. P. 308–312 (co-authored with G Lenssen, D.Bevan).
- Creating value for business and society: corporate social performance of Russian companies // Russian Management Journal. 2015. Vol. 13. Issue 2. P. 67–98 (co-authored with V.I.Kabalina, A.A. Petrova-Savchenko, I.S.Sobolev).
- Educational programs in social entrepreneurship: international experience and Russian features // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2014. Issue. 3. P. 177–197 (co-authored with Y.N.Aray).
- Corporate social performance of the Russian companies: towards the issue of the first business case studies collection // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2012. Issue. 3. P. 106–127 (co-authored with I.V.Gladkikh).
- Information disclosure on obligations fulfillment in non-financial reporting of the largest companies operating in Russia // Economics of Contemporary Russia. 2012. №2 (57). P. 118–130 (co-authored with A.A.Petrova-Savchenko).
- R.Edward Freeman and the stakeholder concept // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2012. Issue. 1. P. 109–116.
- Analysis of the corporate philanthropy leaders’ practices in Russia in 2007–2009 // Russian Management Journal. 2011. Vol. 9. Issue 2. P. 27–48 (co-authored with A.A. Savchenko).
- Evolution of CSR concept and the strategic management theory // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2011. Issue. 1. P. 3–26.
- Corporate social responsibility: challenges to the management education // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2010. Issue 2. P. 143–161.
- Social entrepreneurship: the problem of typology // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2010. Issue 3. P. 109–114 (co-authored with Yu.N.Aray).
- Corporate social responsibility in Russia: lessons of the national Report on social investments // Russian Management Journal. 2009. Vol. 7, Issue 1. P. 3–24 (co-authored with E.Ivanova).
- The genesis of the corporate social responsibility concept // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series. 2006. Issue 2. P. 3–24.
- Business history as the path of learning. A review of Chandler A. D., Jr. Inventing the electronic century: the epic story of the consumer electronics and computer industries. Free Press, 2001 // Russian Management Journal. 2005. Vol.3. Issue 4. P. 169–177.
- The concept of corporate social responsibility and strategic management // Russian Management Journal. 2004. Vol. 2. Issue. 3. P. 17–34.
* The paper has been chosen as an Outstanding Paper Award Winner 2013 by the Emerald Literati Network (www.emeraldinsight.com/literati).
Papers in Professional Journals:
- Corporate social responsibility is a market economy concept (An Interview) // Profession: Director. 2013. No 5. P. 26–34.
- Just good business (An Interview) // Expert North-West. 2011. No 1(497). P. 20–23.
- Corporate social responsibility and business education // Business education. 2007. No 1 (22). P. 49–52.
- Commercial firm “Schick”: social responsibility in small and medium-size business (co-authored with M.Zuravkova) / S.P.Kouchtch (ed.). Collection of case-studies: experience of Russian companies (North-West region). SPb.: SPbU Publishing House, 2003.
INTERNSHIPS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Universita Commerciale Luigi Bocconi (Italy), 2013.
- HEC–Paris (France), 2006.
- Haas School of Business IMIO (UC Berkeley, USA), 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.
- IFL (Swedish Institute of Management) and ABB Co. (Sweden), 1999.
- Central European University (Hungary), 1998.
- Bremen University (Germany), 1991–1992.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- “Honorary official of the High professional education of the Russian Federation” award, 2004.
- Certificates of Honor of the Russian Council for Management Education, 2000; Russian Ministry of General and Professional Education, 1999; Academic Council of the SPbSU, 1997.
- Grant for Curriculum development, Eurasia Foundation/Citigroup, 2001–2003.
- DAAD Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1991–1992.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO, 2010.
- Aalto University (Finland), 2009, 2010.
- UC Berkeley (USA), 1998
- St.Mary’s College of California, 1995–1997, 1999–2005.
In-company ExEd Programs:
- Severstal, StatoilHydro, European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), IBM, Sakhalin Energy, 2008–.
Memberships in professional associations:
- The emergence of social enterprises in Europe network (EMES), 2015–.
- Academy of International Business (AIB), 2010–.
- International Academy of Organizational Sciences, 2010–.
- Caux Round Table (CRT), 2006–.
- European Business Ethics Network (EBEN), 1996–.
Memberships in editorial boards:
- Journal of East European Management Studies (JEEMS), 2015–
- Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series, 2009 –.
- Corporate Governance: The international journal of business and society, 2006 –.
- Russian Management Journal, 2003 –.
- Global Outlook: An International Journal of Business, Economics and Social Policy, 1998–2003.
Participation in other councils/committees:
- Member of the Expert council on the corporate transparency of Russian companies research (Russian Regional Network on Integrated Reporting), 2015–.
- Member of the Expert council on the social entrepreneurship development under the Committee on the economic policy, innovation development and entrepreneurship of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, 2013–.
- UNDP international expert on CSR mainstreaming into University curriculum (Ukraine, Belorussia), 2009–2010.
- Member of the Expert council under the Committee for non-financial reporting of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP), 2010–.
- Judge of the National panel for the “People Investor” Award, 2010–.
- Judge of the National panel for the “Corporate Philanthropy Leaders” Award, 2009–.
- Member of the Saint Petersburg University Academic Council, 2003–.
- Member of the SPbU GSOM Academic Council, 1994–.
International Conferences Chairing:
- V International Society of Business, Economics, and Ethics (ISBEE) World Congress 2012: “Tradition and new horizons: towards the virtue of responsibility”. Warsaw. July 11-14, 2013 (Program Board Member).
- IX Annual Colloquium and VIII PhD Conference of EABIS-Academy of Business in Society 2010: “Corporate responsibility and emerging markets”. St.Petersburg, September 20–22, 2010 (Co-Chair).
- XI International Conference of RABE: “The role of business education in the development of the business social responsibility”. Jordan. November 3–10, 2007 (Research Chair).
- Annual research Conference of EBEN: “Normative foundations of corporate responsibility”. St.Petersburg. June 15–17, 2006 (Program Committee Chair).