Associate Professor, Department of Finance and Accounting
Head, Research Programmes Committee
EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC DEGREES
- Candidate of Science (Economics), St. Petersburg State University, 1999
- Specialist Degree (Economics), Leningrad State University, 1994
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Markets
INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
- Strategic Management Seminar, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, 2008
- Finance for Executives Programme, J. L. Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 2008
- Professional Development Programme “Innovative methods in teaching”, Harvard Business School, 2007
- Seminar “Understanding and Teaching Entrepreneurship”, UC Berkeley, Haas School of Business, 2001
- Internship: UC Berkeley, Haas School of Business, 1996, 2002
- Internship: Pittsburgh University, School of Business, Center for Russian and East-European Studies, 1995, 1996-1997
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- European Academy of Management (EURAM), 2017-
- International Corporate Governance Society (ICGS), 2015 -
- Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES), 2010 –
- EuropeanFinanceAssociation (EFA), 2012-2014
- International Management Research Academy (IMRA), 2012-2014
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Head of Research Commission, 2014 –.
- Member of Curriculum Development Commission, 2013 – 2015.
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal “Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo Universiteta” (Herald of St.Petersburg State University). Management Series. 2002–2009, 2012 –.
- Associate Director for Bachelor Programs, 2010-2013.
- Deputy Head of Department of Finance and Accounting, Graduate School of Management, 2001-2010.
Journal Editorial Boards
- Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg State University, Management Series, 2002–2004 (Managing Editor), 2002– 2009 (member of Editorial Board)
- Research Grant for the project “Corporate boards diversity and corporate performance in Russia” // Research project, St.Petersburg State University. 2014-2016 (together with I. Berezinets, T. Garanina, M. Smirnov)
- Research Grant for the project “Dividend policy and corporate governance: a study of Russian open joint-stock companies” // Research project, St.Petersburg State University. 2014-2015 (together with I. Berezinets, M. Smirnov)
- Research Grant for the project “Owners, Boards, Managers and the Private Benefits of Control: A Study of Dual Class Stock Firms in Russia (together with I. Berezinets, A. Muravyev), 2010-2011 (Economics Education and Research Consortium (EERC))
- Research Grant for the project “Owners, Boards, Managers and Employees: an Empirical Analysis of the link between Corporate Governance and Employment Policy of the Firm” (together with I. Berezinets, A. Muravyev), 2010 (Moscow Public Science Foundation)
SELECTED RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS
Papers in Academic Journals
- Board structure, board committees and corporate performance in Russia. 2017 // Managerial Finance, Vol. 43, Issue 10, pp.1073-1092 (with Berezinets I., CherkasskayaА.)
- Dividend policy and ownership structure: A study of Russian dual-class stock companies. 2017 // Corporate Ownership & Control, 15(1-1), pp. 199-212 (with Berezinets I., Alekseeva L.)
- How does stock market react to dividend surprises? Evidence from emerging markets of India and Russia. 2017 //Journal of Asia-Pacific Business. Vol. 18, Issue 3, pp. 153-179 (with BerezinetsI., Bulatova L., Smirnov M.)
- Dynamicapproachtodefiningintellectualcapitalofboardof directors and its structure. 2017 //Russian Management Journal. Vol. 15,Issue 3.Pp. 357– 382 (in Russian) (with Berezinets I., Garanina T.)
- Board of directors and dividend policy in Russian companies with direct state participation. 2017 //Corporate Finance. Vol. 11,Issue 1. Pp. 50-77 (in Russian)(with Ambardnishvili T., BerezinetsI., Smirnov M.)
- Intellectual capital of a board of directors and its elements: introduction to the concepts. 2016 // Journal of Intellectual Capital. Vol. 17, Issue 4, pp. 632-653 (with Berezinets I., Garanina T.)
- BoardofdirectorsinRussianstate-ownedcompanies. 2016 // Economics of Contemporary Russia. Vol. 2. Pp. 90-106 (in Russian)(with BerezinetsI., Smirnov M.)
- The Russian market reaction to dividend surprises: an empirical study. 2016 // RussianManagementJournal. Vol.14,Issue 2. Pp. 29–48 (in Russian)(with BerezinetsI., Bulatova L., Smirnov M.)
- Board busyness and financial performance. 2016 //Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series. Vol 1.Pp. 3-30 (in Russian) (with Berezinets I.)
- Reaction of the Russian stock market to dividends announcements: empirical study // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series. 2015. Vol 1. P. 44-90 (with I. Berezinets, L. Bulatova, M. Smirnov)
- The structure of corporate boards and private benefits of control: Evidence from the Russian stock exchange // International Review of Financial Analysis. 2014. Vol. 34. P. 247-261 (withMuravyev A.,Berezinets I.)
- Dividends on Common and Preferred Shares: the Relationship with the Ownership Concentration in Russian Public Companies // Journal of Economic and Social Development. Vol. 1. № 2. 2014 (with L.Alexeeva, I. Berezinets)
- Corporate Conflicts and Financial Performance // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. ManagementSeries. 2014. Vol. 2. P. 68-103 (with I.Berezinets, D. Fakhritdinova)
- Board Structure and Financial Performance of Russian Public Companies // VestnikSt.PeterburgskogoUniversiteta (Herald of St.Petersburg University). Managementseries. 2013. Vol. 3 (with I.Berezinets, A. Cherkasskaya).
- Corporate Governance Conflicts and Employment and Wage Policies of Companies. 2012 // Russian Management Journal. Vol. 10. Issue 2 (with A. Muravyev, I. Berezinets) (in Russian).
- Ownership Concentration and Dividend Policy: A Study of Russian Public Companies // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series. 2011. Issue 3. P. 3-31 (with I. Berezinets, L. Alexeeva) (in Russian).
- Ownership Structure and Dividend Policy: A Study of Russian Companies // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series. 2011. Issue 4. P. 3-31 (with I. Berezinets, L. Alexeeva) (in Russian).
- Transformation of Organizational Forms and Corporate Governance: Empirical Study of Russian Companies // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. ManagementSeries. 2009. Issue. 4. P. 51-76 (with I.Berezinets) (inRussian).
- Change of Organizational Form of Russian Companies and Financial Performance // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. ManagementSeries. 2008. Vol. 1 (with I.Berezinets) (inRussian).
- Electronic Corporate Governance: Considering Stakeholders Interests // Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series. 2007. Vol. 1. P. 128-152 (with A. Bukhvalov, O. Bandalyuk) (in Russian).
- Corporate Governance Practices in Russia: Defining the Boundaries of a National Model: Expert-Analytical Report. Moscow, Russian Managers Association. 2011 (with M. Elfimova, I. Zotova, I. Berezinets, I. Korotetskiy, Yu. Ovchinnikov, R. Sharman) (in Russian).
Chapters in Books
- Corporate Governance: Issues of Application and Evaluation of Russian Companies. St. Petersburg, Publishing Centre “Graduate School of Management”, 2012 (editor A. Bukhvalov; with D. Volkov, O.Bandalyuk, I. Berezinets, T. Garanina) (in Russian)
- National Corporate Governance Model and Specificity of Information Disclosure (Chapter 4) // St. Petersburg, Publishing Centre “Graduate School of Management”, 2012 (with Bandalyuk O.V., Bukhvalov A. V.) (in Russian)
- Organizational Forms Transformation of Russian Companies and Ownership Concentration: Empirical Evidence from Large Russian Companies (Chapter 3) // St. Petersburg, Publishing Centre “Graduate School of Management”, 2012 (with Bandalyuk O.V., Bukhvalov A. V.) (in Russian)
- Analysis of the Impact of Corporate Governance Factors and Firm Performance on Russian Companies Organizational Form Change // “Modernization of economy and globalization”. HSE Publishing, Moscow, 2009 (with I. Berezinets) (in Russian).
- The Choice of Organizational Form for Russian Small and Medium-Sized Companies: Results of the Pilot Study // Proceedings of Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship 2008. Ed. by G. Wu, J. Gao, X. Gao, W. Xie. 2008. P. 314–319 (with I. Berezinets).
- Change of organizational forms of Russian companies and corporate governance. In “Corporate governance: problems and practice, Ulyanovsk, 2007 (together with I. Berezinets)
- Organizational form choice for Russian companies: empirical study goals (together with A. Bukhvalov, O. Bandaljuk, I. Oskolkov). In «Corporate governance and companies valuation». Materials of conference «Public sector transition: efficient management problems». St.Petersburg. Graduate School of Management, 2006.
- Financial and currency indicators change: comparative analysis. In “Contemporary problems of comparative studies”. St.Petersburg, 2001 (together with S. Kotelkin).
- Mortgage lending in Russia today: development stages // Canada college. St.Petersburg, SPbGU, 2000.
- Real estate brokerage firm in modern Russia (together with S. Maximov) // Modern firm: Russian and international experience / Ed. by A. Demin. St.Petersburg, SpbGU, 1999.
- Real estate financial markets. In «Present-day management problems». St-Petersburg, 1998.
- Russian bankers as an elite social and professional group // In “Banks and bankers in Russia: economic and social capital” / Ed. by N. Dinello. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh, 1997 (together with G. Eremicheva).