Professor, Marketing Department
EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC DEGREES
- Doctor of Science in Economics
- Candidate of Science in Economics (First Doctoral Degree), Moscow State University, 1987.
- Specialist Degree in Political Economy, Department of Economics, St. Petersburg State University, 1981.
- The Duke Program for Manager Development (Executive Program), Duke University Fuqua School of Business, 1994.
- Brand Management
- Sales Promotion
SELECTED PAPERS AND PUBLICATIONS
Books, Monographs and Textbooks
- Brand Management. St. Petersburg: GSOM Publishing House, 2009
- Starov S.A. Private label management of retail chains: monography. ─ SPb.: The Publishing House of Graduate School of Management, 2013.
- Starov S. A., Alkanova O. N., Molchanov N. N. Brands, Trademarks and Commercial Symbols as Objects of Company Management // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series 2, 2012.
- Starov S. A., Gabisov A. A., Shostka A. D., Cherenkov V. I. Formation of Balanced Private Label Portfolio for Lenta Retail Chain. // Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Management Series 1, 2012
Papers in Academic Journals
- Brand Efficiency Valuation in the Modern Marketing Theory // Brand Management. 2010. № 4 (53), 5 (54). P. 216–222; 270–288 (with O. Alkanova).
- Methodology of Brand Efficiency Valuation // Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2009. Vol. 4. P. 130–153 (with O. Alkanova).
- Brand Positioning as the Key Branding Effort // Brand Management. 2009. № 4 (47). P. 198–211.
- Verbal Identifiers as the Visual Elements of Brand// Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2008. Vol. 4. P. 150–171.
- Brand: Essence, Functions, Evolution // Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2008. Vol. 2. P. 3–39.
- Brand Loyalty: Classification, Evaluation Methods and Attachment Programs. Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2007. – Vol. 2. P. 112–133.
- Creation and Development of Private Labels for Food Retailers of Modern Russia // Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2003. Vol. 4. P. 26–48.
- Classification of Main Approaches to Brand Valuation in Russian Companies // Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. 2002. Vol. 2 (with V. Vilkov).
Papers in Professional Journals
- Can the Efficiency of the Case Method be Improved // International Journal of Case Method research & Application. 2009. Vol. XXI, № 3. P. 237–241 (with I.V. Gladkikh).
- Viral Marketing as Effective Communicative Instrument // Top-Manager. 2008, October. P. 76–79.
- Ralf Ringer: Testing National Brand’s Competitive Power House. The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2010. № 510-059-1 (with I.V. Gladkikh)/
- Is it Hard to Promote a Provocative Brand for Kids in Russia? The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2009. № 509-005-1.
- Warning: the Treasurer Cigarettes are Dangerous for your Wallet The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2009. № 509-025-12.
- Feel Sympathy for Derzhava: Why Didn’t Russians Like the Candy Brand? The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2008. № 508-024-1.
- Battery Energy Drink: Successful Start What’s Next? The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2007. № 507-188-1 (with I.V. Gladkikh, R. Kopp).
- Diplomat Vodka makes a Break for Premium Class: The European Case Clearing House (ECCH). 2007. № 507-031-8 (with I.V. Gladkikh).
- Arctica Company: Strengthening Positions in the Market for Ice-Cream (Case) // Vestnik SpbGU. Management series, 8. Vol. 3, 2003 (with V. Akulov).
- Seminar for Case Development and Teaching ECCH (European Case Clearing House), Мonaco, 2008.
- Business School Instituto de Empresa (Madrid, Spain), 2007.
- W. Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley, USA, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2007.
- Helsinki School of Economics, Business and Administration (HSEBA), 2000.
- Swedish Institute of Management – IFL (Sweden), Management Training Program Teach the teachers (certificate),1998, 1999.
- Katz School of Business, University of Pittsburg, USA, 1997.
HONORS AND AWARDS OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Honorary official of the High professional education of the Russian Federation Award, 2009.
- Diploma of St. Petersburg Committee for Economy Development, Production Policy and Trade, 2006.
- Diploma of the Russian Ministry of General and Professional Education, 2004.
- Citigroup Award "Citigroup Faculty Fellowship Program", 2001–2003, 2004–2007.
- Personal Research Grants & Grants for SOM Development from USIA, Eurasia Foundation, Open Society Institute (Soros Foundation), 1998, 1999
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Member of World Association for Case Method Research and Application (WACRA), 2008 ─present.
- Editor in chief for translation Aaker D. Building Strong Brands. Moscow, 2003.
- Participation in consulting and educational projects for Russian companies.
- Member of WACRA, EMAC