Profile in brief
- 8 years of corporate experience in strategy and business development for leading MNCs in emerging markets
- 18 years academic experience including teaching/ speaking on sustainability, CSR and markets in 23 countries at leading universities ( Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Darden, INSEAD) to students of 35+ nationalities
- Publications in top tier journals
- Excellent teaching feedback across all courses and countries including CEMS exclusive courses
Academic Positions :
- Professor, Xavier Institute of Management, Xavier University, India (2014-)
- Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg State University, Russia, (2015 – )
(Teaching exclusive courses on ‘Sustainability Marketing’ and ‘Social Entrepreneurship’ to cohorts of CEMS students of leading European business schools: HEC Paris, Copenhagen Business School, EM Normandie, Kedge Business School, Mannheim Business School, Rotterdam Business School etc.)
- Visiting Professor, University of Queensland Business School, Australia, November, 2017
- Visiting Professor, Soka University, Japan, (2014 -15)
- Visiting Researcher, Hanken School of Economics, (Finland, 2012-13)
- Visiting Faculty-(India) Indian Institute of Management-Calcutta (IIM Calcutta-AACSB accredited) , Indian Institute of Management-Kashipur , Indian Institute of Management Indore (IIM-Indore- AACSB accredited), National Institute of Fashion Technology NIFT , Indian Institute of Foreign Trade IIFT , Goa University
- Online Guest lecture- Tsinghua University, China, 2019/ ESCP Business School, France ( 2020)/ Coventry University, UK ( October, 2020), Luciada University, Portugal (November, 2020) /Fresenius University, Germany ( scheduled- December, 2020)
- Course on Sustainable Development & Corporate Sustainability for MIB programme, EMLYON Business School, France, 2019, 2020
- Associate Professor, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, India (www.ximb.ac.in) ( 2009- 2014)
- Assistant Professor, Xavier Institute of Management, India ( 2008-2009)
General management Area: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainable Development & Corporate Sustainability, Socially Responsible Business, Responsible Innovation for Circular Economy
Marketing Area; , Sustainability & Stakeholder Marketing, Sales & Distribution Management , B2B marketing
Teaching Feedback - (Average teaching feedback: > 4.5 on a 5 point scale across all courses and institutions and countries)
Invited presentation – International (selected)
- Invited presentation, “Integrating Ethics in Management Education”, Anti-Corruption Symposium organized by UNODC and MGIMO University, Moscow, 20-22 November, 2019
- Invited presentation, “Giving Voice to Values in an inter-cultural context”, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, USA. 4th June, 2019.
- Invited talk, CSR, Sustainability and Innovations: Sorbonne Universites, UTC, Compiegne, France. 23 January, 2019.
- Invited talk, Innovation, sustainability and markets, University Paris Nanterre, Paris, France, 25 January, 2019.
- Invited Discussant, CAUX Round Table on Moral Capitalism, St. Petersburg, Russia, 6-7 October, 2018.
- Invited presentation, Cornell University- NBS Global Sustainability Workshop, Cornell Tech, NY, USA. 25-27, June, 2018.
- Invited presentation, Consequences of mandatory CSR in India, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. 10 June, 2018.
- Invited participant, Global Ethics Symposium on Ethics of Inclusion, Bentley University, Boston, MA, 21 May, 2018.
- Invited seminar, ‘Implementing CSR in a mandatory regime’, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, November 6, 2017.
- Invited seminar, ‘CSR implementation and sustainable development- early evidence from India’ Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia, November 10, 2017.
- Invited seminar, ‘Marketization of development and marketing of CSR: the case of CSR awards’, UQ Business School, Brisbane, Australia, November 9, 2017.
- Invited presentation, ‘Giving Voice to Values, GVV, for values driven leadership’ with Mary Gentile, AACSB conference on Redesigning the Undergraduate Curriculum, Columbus, Ohio, USA, May 17-19, 2017.
- Invited presentation ‘Responsible Consumption & Marketing’, University Paris Ouest Nanterre le Defense, Paris, France. 21 November, 2016.
- Invited panelist, ‘Teaching Sustainability’, INSEAD-NBS Sustainability Conference, INSEAD, Fontainbleau, 16-18 November, 2016.
- Invited presentation, Sustainable Sea and livelihood of poor coastal women in Indian fishing communities, University of Philippines, Manila, 25-27 September, 2016.
- Invited talk, ‘Possibilities & problems of a sustainability oriented marketing approach’, Jilin University, China. 8th July, 2016.
- Invited lecture on ‘Sustainable Consumption and Social Entrepreneurship’ Skolkovo Moscow School of Management, 25 March, 2016, Russia.
- Invited speaker on ‘Sustainable consumption, marketing and social entrepreneurship’ at GSOM Emerging Market Conference, St. Petersburg State University, Russia, 15- 17, October, 2015.
- Invited Sustainability Researcher, Ahafo gold mine, Newmont Ghana Gold Limited, Ghana, July, 2015
- Visiting Professor of Sustainability Marketing- GSOM, St. Petersburg State University, Russia ( CEMS MIM programme)- April 2015.
- Invited Talk on ‘Sustainability & Stakeholder Marketing’, National University- Higher School of Economics, Perm Campus, Russia, April, 2015
- Research seminar on ‘Implications of Mandatory CSR in India’, Reitaku University, Japan, 13 January, 2015
- Invited lecture: ‘From CSR to sustainability’, Sophia University, Japan, December, 2014.
- Visiting Professor- Soka University, Japan- (November 2014- Januray 2015)
- Invited lecture series on CSR & Marketing, SFX Business School, Peru.-July 2014
- Invited panellist: Harvard Business School- NBS Sustainability Centre Workshop, Harvard University, Boston, USA. June. 2014.
- Invited discussant- International workshop on CSR in Extractive Industries in Developing Areas. ESADE Business School. Spain. 24-26th March. 2014
- Invited talk- New Indian regulations in CSR and mining: Problems and Prospects at Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining (CSRM), SMI, University of Queensland, Australia. December 5, 2013
- Invited talk- New market creation, social business incubation and CSR at University of Western Sydney, Australia. December 9, 2013
- Invited Discussant- Sustainability in Asia, Korea University Business School ( KUBS) and Academy of Business in Society ( ABIS) conference. Seoul. November 29. 2013.
- Invited Panellist- Practical Wisdom in Management, Yale University, USA, 9-10th July, 2013
- Invited discussant International Council of Mines & Minerals (ICMM) regional Workshop on Mining, Human Rights and Indigenous Communities, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, 27-29th May, 2013.
- Visiting Lecturer- Hanken School of Economics, Finland- 2012
- Invited keynote speaker on ‘CSR regulations in India’ at Research in Organizational Development (RIODD) Conference, Audencia Nantes School of Management, France. 22-23rd May. 2012.
- Invited Discussant, Global Workshop on business school based sustainability centres, Richard Ivey School of Business, Canada. April. 2012
- Invited talk on ‘Stakeholder Marketing’ University Brunei Darussalam, Brunei- July, 2011.
- Invited talk on CSR and Innovation- United Nations University, UNU-Merit, Maastricht, Netherlands.- January, 2011
- Faculty for International Marketing, University of Liverpool, UK with Laureate Online- 2010
- Invited lecture to executives on Retailing in Emerging Markets- University of Stellenbosch, South Africa- 2009
Invited presentation – India (selected)
- Invited panel discussion moderation, Innovating for Employability: Industry- Academia Collaboration, Embassy of France in India, 22 February, New Delhi, 2020.
- Invited Speaker- Arunachal Pradesh Social Entrepreneurship Meet APSEM 2020 organized by the govt. of Arunachal Pradesh, Itanagar, 30-31 January, 2020.
- Invited Speaker- Social Entrepreneurship and Circular Economy- Kirorimal College, Delhi University, 1st November, 2019.
- Invited Speaker- Social Entrepreneurship, St. Xavier’s College Kolkata, International Conference on Economics and Environment, 13 September, 2019.
- Invited Discussant- Case Teaching Pedagogy in Sustainability- IIM Ahmedabad, December 8-9, 2018.
- Invited panelist, International Workshop on Social Innovation & Social Entrepreneurship, University of Huddersfield,UK & Kirori Mal College, DU, October26, 2018
- Invited panelist- UN-PRME Conference on Transparency in Higher Education, Bangalore Central University, 29th September, 2018.
- Invited panelist, Amrita Marketing Round Table Conference, Amrita University, January, 2016.
- Invited speaker on Sustainability Marketing and Giving Voice to Values with Dr. Mary Gentile, UN-PRME 6th Asia Forum, 27-28 November, 2015,Goa,India
- Invited discussant UNEP workshop on Sustainable Consumption & Production, EU- SWITCH Asia project TERI University, September 15, New Delhi, 2015
- Invited facilitator- CSR strategy mapping exercise- TATA Group, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, India. August.2012.
- Invited discussant, National Workshop on Teaching of Ethics and responsible Business, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, March, 2012.
- Invited speaker at International Conference on Conscious Capitalism organized by The Conscious Capitalism Institute, Bentley College, USA, (Mumbai, 2010)
- Invited discussant at International Conference on Business Ethics organized by Globethics.net, Switzerland, (Mysore, 2010).
- Invited panellist, Teaching Innovation Programme (TIP), Aspen Institute USA, ( Goa, 2009)
- Invited speaker National Seminar on Sustainability-Corporate Evolution through Consciousness organized by Institute of Company Secretaries of India ( ICSI) and SAFIM, New Delhi, January 18, 2014.
- Developing a course on ‘Sustainability & Stakeholder Marketing’ integrating CSR, strategy and marketing- taught in India, Japan, Finland, Peru and Russia with excellent feedback
- Co-developing India’s first one year course on ‘Management of Resettlement, Rehabilitation and Corporate Social Responsibility” (featured in the Aspen Institute’s Teaching Innovation Programme TIP)
- Developing a course on Sustainable Development & Corporate Sustainability- taught in India, Peru, & Japan with excellent feedback
- Developing course on Responsible Innovation for Circular Economy
Research interest: sustainability, marketing, social innovation & entrepreneurship, CSR, emerging markets, Indian philosophy and religion
Management Development Programme- Executive Trainings
- Andhra Pradesh Government, Dept. of Tourism, Wipro Limited, Tata Teleservices , Bosch India, Indiapost, metaljunction.com, Paradeep Phosphates, State Bank of India, Axis bank, THDC Ltd, Infosys, Powergrid Corporation, Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, JK Organization, NTPC Ltd, DPE Govt. of Orissa, Reserve Bank of India, Orissa Tourism, SIDBI etc.
- Trained more than 1000 executives
- Nominated Master Trainer, TISS for training public sector executives of 13 Indian public sector enterprises on Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Master Trainer- Tata Institute of Social Science- TISS-Program for Development Professionals ( 2018)
- 8 years (1995- 2003) of business development experience in MNCs.
- Experience in sales and channel management in chemicals and construction equipments with FOSROC, a British Petroleum BP group company as Sales Engineer
- Technical Advisor for HILTI Corporation (Lichtenstein). HILTI is the global leader in the fastener and cutting tool industry. Set up and established the company in Eastern India.
- IT solutions and services marketing experience in infrastructure, power, transportation and mining sector for CMC Limited, a Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) company.
- Experience in brand building, team management, territory management.
- Ray, Subhasis. (2021). Digital Promotion and Customer Relationship Management in B2B sector: Issues and Challenges. In Dasgupta, T (Ed), Digital Promotion, Adhyayan Publishers. New Delhi. India. (ISBN- 978-93-88804-85-1).
- Aray, Yulia, Knatko, Dmitry and Ray, Subhasis. (2021). Case Study. Snegi: The Marketing Dilemma of a Russian Social Enterprise. The Case Centre. UK.
- Ray, S. (2021). Implication of Predictive Maintenance for Industrial Marketing: A Case Study From the Air Compressor Industry. In Goundar, S., Avanija, J., Sunitha, G., Madhavi, K. R., & Bhushan, S. B. (Eds.), Innovations in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and Smart Factory (pp. 231-243). IGI Global. http://doi:10.4018/978-1-7998-3375-8.ch016
- Sivaramakrishnan, S, Ray, Subhasis & Goswami, P. (2020). Case Study. Eco Femme Cloth Pads: Reaching Rural Women. Ivey Publication, Canada.
- Ray, Subhasis. (2020). Case Study. Project Phoenix at Elgi Equipments: Winning in the Industrial Compressor Aftermarket. The Case Centre, UK.
- Ray, Subhasis and Bandyopadhyay, Chinmoy (2020): Upasana: Positioning Dilemma of a social enterprise in sustainable fashion, The Case Centre, UK.
- Ray Subhasis and Bansal, Tima. (2020). Mahindra & Mahindra: Creating Value from Waste. Ivey Case Collection, Canada.
- Bandyopadhyay C., Ray S. (2020). Finding the Sweet Spot Between Ethics and Aesthetics: A Social Entrepreneurial Perspective to Sustainable Fashion Brand (Juxta)Positioning. Journal of Global Marketing (ABDC- B)
- Bandyopadhyay C. & Ray S. (2019). Digital Marketing and Communication for Social Enterprises. In: Osburg T., Heinecke S. (eds) Media Trust in a Digital World. Springer, Cham.
- Bandyopadhyay, C., & Ray, S. (2019). Marketing in Social Enterprises: The Role of Value Creation Through Relationship Marketing. In N. Chiweshe, & D. Ellis (Eds.), Strategic Marketing for Social Enterprises in Developing Nations (pp. 32-52). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-7859-8.ch002
- Bandyopadhyay, C., & Ray, S. (2019). Responsible marketing: can social enterprises show the way?. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing, 31(2), 164-183. (ABDC-B)
- Bandyopadhyay, C., & Ray, S. (2019). Social enterprise marketing: review of literature and future research agenda. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 38(1), 121-135. (ABDC-A)
- Leal, Walter et al.2019. The Role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainability Initiatives at the Local Level. Journal of Cleaner Production. Vol.233, 1 October 2019, pp. 1004-1015. (ABDC-A)
- Cherrier, Helene, Goswami Paromita & Ray, Subhasis. 2018. Social Entrepreneurship: Creating Value in the Context of Institutional Complexity. Journal of Business Research, Vol 86, pp 245-258. (ABDC-A)
- Marutschke, David, Gournelos, Ted & Ray, Subhasis. 2019. Understanding friction in customer experience management in Granata, G (ed) "Predicting Trends and Building Strategies for Consumer Engagement in Retail Environments’, IGI Global.
- Sarkar, Tapan, . Ray, Subhasis & Gazder, Beroz. 2017. Mahindra & Mahindra – Mainstreaming Sustainability Through Knowledge Building in Lenssen, Rhee and Sktodowska (eds) The Role of Corporate Sustainability in Asian development- A Case Study Handbook in the Automotive and ICT industries. Springer
- Bhattacharya, Anindo, McKenna, Bernard & Ray, Subhasis, 2016: Editorial. Indian Philosophical Issues- Relevance to Contemporary Management Philosophy of Management., Vol. 15, Issue 1. (ABDC-C)
- Ray, Subhasis. 2016. Integrating sustainability in executive education- An Indian Case Study in Kimakowitz and Lepeley (eds) : in Human Centred Management Executive Education: Global Imperatives, Innovation and New Directions. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ray, Subhasis. 2015. Corporate NGO partnership and CSR implementation in public sector mining companies. in Jamali, Karam & Blowfield (eds) CSR in developing countries: Towards a development oriented approach.. Greenleaf Publishing. UK.
- Ray, Subhasis. 2014. Incubating Social Entrepreneurship as part of Corporate Social Responsibility. IDRC Canada /CRDI-Villgro Research paper series
- Shah, Grishma & Ray, Subhasis. 2014. CSR in Indian public sector: putting people before profit in Lupton, Nate & Pirson, Michael (eds) Humanistic Perspectives in International Business & Management. Palgrave. UK.
- Ray, Subhasis .2013. “CSR Measurement.” In S.O. Idowu et al. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Corporate Social Responsibility, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Vol 1, pp. 716-721, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-28036-8,
- Ray Subhasis. 2013. “Voicing values: marketing perspectives” in Gentile, Mary (ed.) Educating for values driven leadership: Giving Voice to Values Across the Curriculum. Business Expert Press. NY.
- Ray Subhasis 2013. Niyamgiri- peace and conflict in natural resource based development. IMT Case Journal. Vol. 4(1), July- December.
- Ray Subhasis..2013. Linking public sector corporate social responsibility with sustainable development: Lessons from India, Mackenzie Management Review.Vol. 14 (6),2013. (Scopus)
- Ray Subhasis..2013. “A model for business response to climate change: Indian perspectives’ Vilakshan, XIMB journal of Management.
- Ray, Subhasis..2012. “Corporate social responsibility, resettlement, rehabilitation and community involvement in India”, Regional Insights 3(1) pp. 15-17.
- Ray Subhasis. 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility in Indian public sector mining companies: The case of LCM Limited”, in Bonnani, C, Lepineux F. & Roloff J (ed.) Social Responsibility, Entrepreneurship and the Common Good: International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives Palgrave Macmillan, UK..
- Ray Subhasis. 2009. "A Case Study of Shell at Sakhalin: Having a ‘whale’ of a time?”. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management. May- June, 2008. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. UK. (ABDC- C)
- Ray Subhasis.2008. “Marketing to social networks: A New paradigm” in Social Networking: Trends and Experiences. Icfai University Press. India
- Ray Subhasis.2009. “Sustainable Mine Closure: Rio Tinto’s Kelian Project”. Icfai Journal of Environmental Economics.
- Ray Subhasis.2006. "Community learning in the Indian Education Sector” In Jonker, J. & Witte de Marco (eds.) Management Models for Corporate Social Responsibility, Springer, Germany.
- Ray Subhasis. 2005. “A Case Study of BP in Indonesia: The Tangguh Project”. Parallax: Online Journal of Business Ethics and Corporate Governance.UK.
- Ray Subhasis. 2005. “Urban design: A Case Study of Auroville”: ICFAI Journal of Infrastructure Development.
- Ray Subhasis.2005. “Business Ethics: Nestle and infant formula in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press. India.
- Ray Subhasis.2005. “Corporate Social Responsibility: BP in Columbia” in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press. India
- Ray Subhasis. “Corporate Social Responsibility: Rio Tinto’s Rossing Project” in Ray, Subhasis (ed) Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press 2005. India.
Books/ Edited Books:
- Ray Subhasis & Sivaraju. S (ed). Implementing Corporate Social Responsibility: Indian Perspectives. 2014.
- Ray Subhasis. “Customer Sales and Service” Vikas Publishing House, India. 2008 (Text Book)- custom text book taught in more than 6 Indian universities
- Ray Subhasis. ‘Retail Management” (5 chapters). Vikas Publishing House, India. 2008. (Custom text book taught in 6 Indian universities)
- Ray Subhasis (ed). Cases in Corporate Social Responsibility. ICFAI University Press 2004. India.
Other Academic writing
- Content Development- Online CSR course conducted by Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs ( IICA), Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India
- Ray, Subhasis. 2014. All is well that ends well. 1st prize winning case at the UN- PRME sponsored Giving Voice to Values case series available at
Manuscripts/ Work in Progress
- Varman, Rohit & Ray, Subhasis. Consuming the spiritual
- Bond, Carol & Ray, Subhasis: CSR 3.0 in developing countries
- Banerjee, Bobby & Ray, Subhasis: CSR Implementation in India.
- Sharma, Garima & Ray, Subhasis: Micro-entrepreneurship & Urban Poverty.
Industry commissioned research-
Mahindra & Mahindra, Mahindra Waste to Energy, Aditya Birla Group, Cognizant, biofuelcircle.com, Cummins India, Puma India, Stockholm Water technology Sweden.
- Voola, R, Bandyopadhyay, C, Voola, A, Ray, S and Carlson, J. 2021. B2B Marketing Scholarship and the UN Sustainable Development Goals: A systematic literature review. 4th Industrial Marketing Management Summit. January 28th, 2021. Online
- Ray, Subhasis. 2020. Sustainable waste management for a circular factory: lessons from the Indian automotive industry. 7th Emerging market Conference, Graduate School of Management, St Petersburg University, Russia.
- Almeida, Maria & Ray, Subhasis. 2020. Ethical aspects of surrogacy contracts and human trafficking. 24h online Global Conference on Organized Crime.
- Ahmed, Irfan & Ray, Subhasis 2020. Food Markets & Marketing in Developing Countries: Issues and Implications. 45th Macromarketing Virtual Conference. July 7-10.
- Gangopadhaya, Chinmoy & Ray, Subhasis. 2019. Challenges for Achieving Sustainable Development; a Social Enterprise Marketing Perspective. 6th Emerging Market Conference, GSOM, SPBU, Russia, 3-5 October, 2019
- Ray, Subhasis, Aray, Yulia, Knatko, Dmitri & Bandyopadhyaya, Chinmoy. 2019. Snegi: Marketing Dilemma of a Russian Social Enterprise. 8th AMRC Conference. UAE University. 24-26 March, 2019. UAE
- Sharma, Garima & Ray, Subhasis. 2019. Entrepreneurship in Extreme Contexts: Temporality in the Paradox of Agency. 35th EGOS Colloquium. University of Edinburgh Business School, UK. July 4-6, 2019. (accepted)
- Brown, Jill & Ray, Subhasis. 2019. Good Intentions with Bad Consequences: Mandates for CSR in India Under the Lens of Implicit CSR and Forced Compliance Theories. 30th IABS Conference. University of San Diego, California, USA. 21-24th March, 2019.
- Shah, Grishma & Ray, Subhasis. 2018. Corporate Social Responsibility & the Companies Act: Early Evidence from a Mandatory CSR Regime in India. 25th Annual Vincentian Business Ethics Conference. NY, USA. October 25-17, 2018.
- Dalman, Deniz & Ray, Subhasis. 2018. Consumer Support for International Non-profits in Emerging Markets: The Role of Cosmopolitanism and Anthropomorphism. 5th Emerging Market Conference, GSOM, SPBU, Russia, 4-6 October, 2018.
- Gangopadhaya, Chinmoy & Ray, Subhasis. 2018. Social Entrepreneurship: Creating Value through Relationship Marketing, 5th Emerging Market Conference, GSOM, SPBU, Russia, 4-6 October, 2018.
- Gangopadhaya, Chinmoy & Ray, Subhasis. 2018. Social Entrepreneurship Marketing: Old Wine in New Bottle? South Asian Conference on Business models & Social Entrepreneurship, Tata Institute of Social Science, 17-19 January. 2018. Mumbai, India.
- Ray, Subhasis & Arakkal Jeevan. 2017. Marketization of development and marketing of CSR: The case of CSR awards in India. International Marketing Conference MARCON, IMI- Kolkata. 18-19 December. 2017.
- Aray, Yulia & Ray, Subhasis. 2017. Social Entrepreneurship: Creating Value for and with different stakeholders. 9th International Social Innovation Conference. 12-14 December, 2017. Swinburne University of Technology. Melbourne, Australia.
- Ray, Subhasis, Aray, Yulia, Gangopadhyaya , Chinmoy. 2017. Marketing in social enterprises: Early evidence from Russia. GSOM Emerging Markets Conference. 5- 7 October, 2017. St Petersburg State University, Russia.
- Gangopadhaya, Chinmoy & Ray, Subhasis. 2017. Socially Responsible Marketing: Can social enterprises show the way? International Conference on Responsible Marketing. 23-24 January. XLRI & La Trobe University Australia, India.
- Shafranskaya, Irina, Leontev Dmitriy & Ray, Subhasis.2016. What influences students’ entrepreneurial intentions: some evidence from the comparative pilot study. Emerging Markets Conference. Graduate School of Management. St. Petersburg State University, Russia.
- Gangopadhay, Chinmoy & Ray, Subhasis. 2016. Marketing in social enterprises: Review and typologies. Emerging Markets Conference. Graduate School of Management. St. Petersburg State University, Russia
- Ray, Subhasis, Goswami, Paromita & Ray, Partha Sarathi. 2016. ‘Wings to Fly- but to where? Menstrual hygiene, marketization and vulnerability among subaltern women in India’ Macromarketing Conference, Trinity College, Dublin. 13-15 July.
- Santos, Nicky & Ray, Subhasis. 2016. Consumer vulnerability, social justice and sustainability marketing at the BoP: An EMBA class project focused on the Salia Sahi slum in Orissa, India . 6th Subsistence Marketplace Conference, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaigne, USA. 17-19 June.
- Ray Subhasis. 2016. Sustainability & Stakeholder Marketing. International web conference on ‘Innovative CSR policy for global performance: towards High Added Value’ .Nanterre University, France.
- Ray Subhasis. 2014. Solving social problems through Corporate Social Responsibility, GSOM International Conference on Emerging Markets, St.Petersberg University, Russia. October 16-17.2014
- Ray, Subhasis. 2013. Corporate NGO partnerships in implementing CSR in Indian public sector mining companies, Australasian Business Ethics Network (ABEN) Conference, University of Tasmania, Hobart. December 1-3. 2013.
- Shah Grishma & Ray, Subhasis.2013. Indian Public Sector and the New Era of Corporate Social Responsibility: Raising the bar for people above profits, Academy of International Business (AIB) US Northeast Chapter Annual Conference. Connecticut, USA. October 10-12, 2013.
- Ray, Subhasis. 2013. Integrating sustainability in business management education: A case study from India, Sustainability & Business Practices, John Cook School of Business, St. Louis University, USA. 13-16 July. 2013.
- Fougere, Martin & Ray, Subhasis. 2013. Mandatory Corporate Social Responsibility: Towards inclusive development? EGOS Colloquium. Montreal. July.2013.
- Ray Subhasis. 2012. Linking corporate social responsibility to sustainable development: New policies and emerging evidence from India. Berlin Conference on Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change. Freie University. Berlin. October, 2012.
- Ray Subhasis. 2012. Institutional Structure, governance and emerging CSR regulations: implications for strategy and practice in India. 5th International CSR Conference. Humboldt University. Berlin. October. 2012
- Ray Subhasis. 2011. A model for business response to climate change. 1st International Conference on business response to climate change. Periyar University. India .2011
- Ray Subhasis. 2011. Community Engagement at Resettlement sites and Corporate Social Responsibility: The case of IHPC. AESOP and YA 2011 conference on ‘Diversity and Urbanism: Learning across cultures. TU Delft, Netherlands. February.
- Ray Subhasis. 2009. Corporate Social Responsibility at XYZ Limited. University of South Africa. 8th International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility, Cape Town.
- Ray Subhasis. 2007. Corporate Social Responsibility at Shell’s Sakhalin Project. Monash University International Conference on Knowledge, Quality and Innovation, New Delhi, India.
- Ray Subhasis. 2008. Sustainable project closure: Rio at Kelian. ICFAI Business School Kolkata International Conference on Enterprise and Environment. January, 2008. Winner of 3rd best paper award.
Editorial Board Member
- Indian Journal of Corporate Governance ( Sage)
- Joint- Guest Editor, Philosophy of Management, Special Issue on Indian philosophy for management
- Member, Editorial Board, Palgrave Macmillan- Springer series on International Business, Management & Marketing
- Advisory Board Member, IGI book on “Modern Technologies for Teaching and Learning in Socio-Humanitarian Disciplines
- European Journal of Information System
- Organization Studies
- Journal of Business Research (JBR)
- Journal of Management Development ( JMD)
- Journal of Business Ethics (JBE)
- Business Ethics: European Review (BE:ER)
- Journal of Historical Research in Marketing
- Vikalpa: Journal of Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM-A)
- Journal of Indian Institute of Management- Bangalore
- Vilakshan: Journal of Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar (XIMB)
- African Journal of Business Management (AJBM)
- Journal for Case Research, XIMB
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Jalpaiguri Government. Engineering College, North Bengal University, India. 1995. (76%)
- PGDBM (MBA) with marketing specialization (Indian Institute of Management Calcutta), 2000.
- PhD, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, 2011.
(Date of Birth: 12.12.1972. Nationality: Indian)
- Certificate course in IT business development: CISCO Systems, 2002
- Certificate course in IT business development: IBM, 2003
- Certificate course in Corporate Social Responsibility- The World Bank Institute- 2003
- ECCH Case Teaching Workshop : Prof. Kamaran Kashani, IMD Lausanne, 2005
- Retail Operations Workshop: 2007
- Training on online teaching through BLACKBOARD, University of Liverpool, UK. March 2010.
- Online and onsite training on Sustainability Evaluation, Vienna University of Business & Economics ,Austria April- July , 2010 and October, 2010.
- Global Sustainability Summer School, IBM and University Brunei Darussalam, 18-31 July, 2011
- EXCEED summer school on global warming and sustainable water management, Tu- Braunscweig, Germany, 16-22 November, 2011.
- DUKE-NUS workshop in System Dynamics, Singapore, February, 2012.
- 6 month online course on Mining and CSR in Latin America by GRADE, Peru (June – November 2012)
- Coursera online course on ‘New Models of Business in Society’ by Prof. Edward Freeman, University of Virginia, USA (September- October 2013)
- Case Method Teaching, Harvard Business Publsihing, XIMB. April 5, 2018.
- Business Ethics Teaching Workshop, Bentley University, Boston MA, USA. May 22-24, 2018
- Invited participant- Education for Justice/ Integrity & Ethics- United Nations- June 25-27, 2019, Bangkok, Thailand.
- National Merit Scholarship, Government of India for X-th standard performance, 1989.
- National Merit Scholarship, Government of India for XII-th standard performance, 1991.
- Aspen Institute grant for Teaching Innovation Programme (TIP), Dec., 2009
- IDRC Canada/ VILLGRO research European Union (EU) grant for EASY-ECO online training on sustainability evaluation ( April-July, 2010)
- European Union (EU) grant for EASY-ECO on-site training on sustainability of development assistance projects at Regional Centre of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic ( September, 2010)
- IBM grant for Global Sustainability Summer School, Brunei, 2011
- DAAD full grant for EXCEED summer school and International Symposium on Water, TU Braunschweig, Germany, 16-22 November, 2011.
- DUKE-NUS full scholarship for System Dynamics Workshop, February, 2012.
- ELLA grant to study mining and CSR in Peru, 11thgrant (2013) for studying corporate incubation of social enterprises.
- ELLA (Evidence of Learning in Latin America) research grant (2013) for studying corporate-NGO engagement models in Indian mining sector.
- Award for ‘Outstanding contribution to CSR’, World CSR Congress, Mumbai ( 2013)
- Regional Champion and National finalist (2010, 2014, 2015, 2019) , Regional Runner Up ( 2011, 2013) , TATA Crucible Business Quiz- Corporate edition
- Research Grant (with Grishma Shah) from Manhattan College, NY. (2018)
- State Street Foundation Grant for Global Business Ethics Symposium, Bentley University, May, 2018
- Research Grant from University of New Mexico, USA. ( February,2019).Co- Investigator- $10,000
- Grant from UNDOC- UNDP- Education for Justice project ( August, 2019)- $3000
- Grant from University Quebec Montreal for CSR project- $1500 (October 2019)
Recent Consultancy projects:
- Market Entry Strategy for a bakery company, Odisha.
- Marketization of menstrual hygiene and its impact on environment and women’s health in India- Research project with Ecofemme, India ( ongoing)
- Success factors for integral entrepreneurship- Auroville, India
- Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility Plan for titanium mining, Odisha, India- 2015 ( ongoing)
- Sustainable Mining Community development for Orissa Mining Corporation- 2015
- Role of faith based groups in African mining- Ghana, Africa ( 2015)
- Research project on partnership in mining ( 2013)
- Research project on CSR and social innovation ( 2013)
- Launching India’s first one year programme on CSR, Resettlement and Rehabilitation for an Indian Hydel power company
- CSR in extractive industries in developing countries, with ESADE, Spain.
- Developing pricing mechanism for the tourism department in the Middle East.
- Project on market entry and development strategy for a stonewool company in Ukraine.
- Developing a retail concept in Saudi Arabia.
Other research projects and professional activities:
- Pro-Bono workshop- Research with cases- Auroville, India. (September, 2017)
- Invited Discussant on ‘Energy –Poverty’ organized by EPRG, UQ and IIT- Mumbai. December 9, 2017.
- Member- Steering Committee, PRME India Chapter
- Member- Advisory Board, Sustainability Centre Community, Network for Business Sustainability, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, Canada.
- Invited discussant and Session Chair UNEP- TERI workshop on Sustainable Consumption, New Delhi, September, 2015 under EU SWITCH ASIA project
- Expert Member- CSR Consultant Recruitment- Orissa Mining Corporation- September, 2015
- Stakeholder Consultation- UNDP – “Optimizing the Contribution of the Extractive Sector to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): A Proposal for a Global Dialogue Network’- July/ Spetember, 2015.
- Giving Voice to Values led by Prof. Mary Gentile, Babson College, USA- ongoing.
- Conscious Capitalism led by Prof. Raj Sisodia, Bentley College, USA.
- Research Group on CSR in extractive industries in developing countries led by Prof. Josep Maria, ESADE Business School, Spain.
- GOLDEN anchored by Prof. Maurizio Zollo, MIT & Bocconi University
- Network for Business Sustainability anchored by Prof. Tima Bansal, Richard Ivey School of Business, Canada.
- CSR Expert for Fairfood International, Netherlands- an NGO involved in sustainable food chains.
- Associated with Orissa Vigilance Council, a grassroot organization focused on raising CSR awareness among the people of Orissa
- Mentor, LifeIntelect, Bengaluru, India
- Advisor, Ecofin Global, Hyderabad, India
- Associate- Sri Aurobindo Foundation for Integral Management ( SAFIM), Pondicherry, India
- Governing Board Member, FAME, Vinay Foundation
- Member- Board of Studies- GITAM University, Andhra Pradesh
- Member- Academic Council- XIME- Bangalore- India
- Co-supervisor- Ainel Abouva- Internet Marketing in Higher Education, Almaty University, Kazakhstan
- External Examiner- Marketing communication, business performance & CSR- Sujata Banerjee, NIT Durgapur, 2018.
- External Examiner- BoP market for off-grid energy sector- Tony Haynen, University of Queensland, 2017.
- External Examiner- FDI in Indian Retail- Soka University, Japan. 2016.
- Internal Examiner- Atul- Distribution Issues in tractor market, XIMB, 2016.
- PhD Local supervisor- BoP Marekting- Lyon School of Managament, France
- PhD Supervision- Corporate Social Responsibility-Monalisa Ghosh, XIMB.
- PhD Supervisor, ‘Social Entrepreneurship & Marketing’, XIMB, India
- Member, Student Advisory Committee- Corporate Environmental Responsibility- Sumita Sindhi- XIMB, India.
- Member, Doctoral Advisory Committee,- CSR and branding- IBS, Hyderabad, India
- External Examiner, BITS- Mesra, CSR in India- India.
- External Examiner- CSR in S. Africa- University of North- West, South Africa
- Chairperson, Centre for Business & Society, Xavier University Bhubaneswar ( 2020-
- Co-founder and Co-ordinator- Centre for Resettlement, Rehabilitation and Corporate Social Responsibility (http://crrcsr.ximb.ac.in) ( 2010- 2020)
- Co-ordinator- Marketing Area, XIMB-XUB. (2016- 2019)
- Board Member, Network for Business Sustainability, NBS, Ivey Business School, Canada
- Advisory Committee Member, INSEAD- NBS Global Sustainability workshop, November, 2016
- Conference Chair, HARVARD Business School Club and XIMB hosted ‘ Inclusive India Forum’, 22 January, XIMB, India 2016
- Organizing Committee member, Sustainability Summit, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, India. July, 2015.
- Advisory Committee Member, HARVARD Business School- NBS workshop on Business Sustainability, HBS, Boston, USA. June. 2014.
- Co-chair, National Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility, 2012 (http://nccsr2012.ximb.ac.in/)- co-organized with Tata Institute of Social Science ( TISS), Mumbai)
- Organizing committee member, International Conference on Resettlement and Rehabilitation, 2012 (http://icrar2012.ximb.ac.in/)
- National Workshop on ‘Corporate NGO partnership in mining’. May 4, 2013. XIMB. India
- Co-ordinator Library Services ( 2010-11)
- Member, Entrepreneurship Development Committee, XIMB, 2012, 2013
- Member, placement committee, XIMB (2013, 2015,2016)
- Member, Branding Committee, XIMB ( 2016)
- Mary Gentile, Professor , Darden School of Business, USA.
- Tima Bansal, Canada Research Chair Professor of Sustainability, Richard Ivey School of Business, Canada.
- Bobby Banerjee, Professsor of Management, Cass School of Business, City University of London, UK.
 AACSB and EQUIS accredited, IIM- Calcutta’s post graduate programme have been ranked 16th in the world by FT in 2016.
 Rated among the top 10 universities in India ( NIRF, 2018)