Andrei Panibratov, Professor, Strategic and International Management, Graduate School of Management, Saint-Petersburg State University
Professor Panibratov’ research and teaching area concentrate on internationalization of emerging economies’ firms, outward FDI from Russia, and Russian multinationals. Andrei is the author of a number of books and books’ chapters, several case studies, and many articles published in Russia and abroad. His recent book – Russian Multinationals: From Regional Supremacy to Global Lead, published with Routledge in 2012 – discusses the rise of Russian multinationals, examines Russian multinationals' activities in key sectors, analyses the relationship between Russian multinationals and the Russian government and concludes by assessing how Russian multinationals are likely to develop in future. Another book of prof. Panibratov – «International Strategy of Emerging Market Firms: Absorbing Global Knowledge and Building Competitive Advantages» - published with Routledge in 2017, is dedicated to the key emerging economies – Brazil, Russia, India, China (BRIC), and also to other developing economies. This book presents theoretical foundations and detailed case studies of emerging multinationals’ activities and explains how emerging market firms accumulate and exploit market knowledge to develop competitive advantages while operating globally. Andrei serves as a board member of several leading international academic journals on international business and emerging markets.
Professor Panibratov holds his MBA degree from University of Wales (UK), PhD in Economics degree from the St. Petersburg State University, and Doctor in Economics degree from Moscow State University of Management. Andrei has visited professors’ training programs and development workshops at Haas School of Business UC Berkeley and Texas A&M University (USA), HEC-Paris (France), Aalto University School of Management (Finland), ECCH (France, Singapore) and WACRA (UK, Canada). Andrei was participating in consulting and research projects for World Bank (USA), UMIST (UK), City University of New York (USA), Aalto University School of Economics and Tampere University of Technology (Finland), European and Russian companies.
Professor Panibratov has sound teaching experience in Russian MNEs and emerging markets. He developed four new courses on emerging markets (including Russia) and their firms (including Russian MNEs) and has been teaching it in the GSOM programs and in a number of Russian and international universities and business schools since 2009. He is also a regular presenter or keynote speaker in research seminars and conferences around the world.
Professor Andrei Panibratov was nominated and elected as the National Representative of Russia and the Board Member of the European International Business Academy (EIBA) in the EIBA General Assembly in Vienna in December 2016. This is the first time when Russia’s representative appears at the EIBA Board. The appointment was made based on the EIBA Board recognition of the outstanding results of Professor Andrei Panibratov in the development and promotion of EIBA ideas and research directions among Russian scholar, and also with the respect to his important contribution in the IB studies in the context of Russia. Election of Professor Andrei Panibratov as of EIBA National Representative and Board Member is an outstanding opportunity for Saint Petersburg University to increase its international recognition and to bring Russian business and management scholars to the IB research agenda.
Publications in Refereed Journals
- Panibratov, A., & Michailova, S. (2018). The role of state ownership and home government in Russian multinationals’ internationalization, International Journal of Emerging Markets, forthcoming.
- Michailova, S., & Panibratov, A. (2018). MNEs from Russia and CIS: From national champions to global players, International Journal of Emerging Markets, forthcoming.
- Ermolaeva, L., Freixanet, J., & Panibratov, A. (2018). The role of absorptive capacity in the relationship between firm internationalization and innovation: evidence from Russia, Journal for East-European Management Studies, forthcoming.
- Ermolaeva, L., Nefedov, K., Panibratov, A., & Viktorov, D. (2018). Internationalisation driving value chain configuration: The case of emerging market IT companies, Journal of East-West Business, published online.
- Panibratov, A., Brown, T. (2018). Foreign divestments from Russia: An exploration of the mediating factors, Strategic Change, 27(4): 359–367.
- Panibratov, A., Ribberink, N., Veselova, A. & Nefedov, K. (2018). Entry modes and liability of foreignness effects: Evidence from Russian firms on German market, Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, 9 (1/17): 106-122.
- Panibratov, A., & Brown, T. (2018). Mitigating divestment stigma: A legitimation perspective, Kybernetes, 47(5): 920-936.
- Panibratov, A. Cultural integration in cross-border M&A deals: The comparative study of acquisitions made by EMNEs from China and Russia, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 2017, 30(7): 1109-1135.
- Panibratov, A. (2016). Home government influence on Russian MNEs: Balancing control against interest, International Journal of Emerging Markets, 11(4): 474-496.
- Dikova, D., Panibratov, A., Veselova, A., & Ermolaeva, L. (2016). The joint effect of investment motives and institutional context on Russian international acquisitions, International Journal of Emerging Markets, 11(4): 674-692.
- Panibratov, A. (2016). Unraveling the IJV rationale in emerging markets: The case of multinational enterprises in the Russian construction industry, Journal of East-West Business, 22(2): 97-117.
- Latukha, M., & Panibratov, A. (2015). Top management teams’ competencies for international operations: do they influence a firm’s result? Journal of General Management, 40(4): 45-68.
- Panibratov, A., Veselova, E., & Ermolaeva, L. (2015) Institutional and macroeconomic factors of location choice of Russian foreign M&A deals, Russian Journal of Management, 13(3): 59-78.
- Panibratov, A., Ermolaeva, L., & Abramkov, A. (2015). The liability of foreignness in the internationalization process of Russian energy companies, Vestnik (Herald) of St. Petersburg University. Management Series, 2 : 39-73.
- Panibratov, A. (2015). Russian multinationals and their way to league of ‘hidden champions’. A review of Russian edition of H. Simon “Hidden Champions of the 21st Century: Success Strategies of Unknown World Market Leaders”, Russian Journal of Management, 13(1): 113-120.
- Panibratov, A. (2015). Liability of foreignness of emerging market firms: the country of origin effect on Russian IT companies, Journal of East-West Business, 21(1): 22-40.
- Panibratov, A. (2014). Developing brand awareness via social networks as a new sprout of global firms’ strategy on the Russian market, Journal of Euromarketing, Special Issue ‘Branding as a Lever of Competitiveness in the Bigger Europe’, 23(1-2): 37-56.
- Panibratov, A., & Latukha, M. (2014). Obtaining international results through partnerships: Evidence from Russian MNEs in the IT sector, Journal for East European Management Studies, 19(1): 31-57.
- Panibratov, A., & Sergeeva, A (2013). Foundations of international competitiveness for Russian MNEs in IT sector, Herald of St-Petersburg University, Management, 4: 52-69.
- Latukha, M., & Panibratov, A. (2013). Is the role of HRM strategic in M&A success? Exploring the involvement of HRM in a due diligence process, Journal of General Management, 39(1): 27-54.
- Mihailova, I., & Panibratov, A. (2012). Determinants of internationalization strategies of emerging market firms: A multilevel approach, Journal of East-West Business, 18(2): 157-184.
- Latukha, M., Panibratov, A., & Safonova-Salvadori, E. (2011). Entrepreneurial FDI in emerging economies: Russian SME strategy for Brazil, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 12(3): 201-212.
- Panibratov, A., & Verba, C. (2011). Internationalization of Russian companies: Evolving competitive advantages in the course of foreign acquisitions, Herald of St-Petersburg State University, Management, 2: 39-60.
- Panibratov, A. (2010). Internationalization strategies of construction companies: Preconditions, directions and perspectives, Herald of St-Petersburg State University, Management, 1: 61-86.
- Panibratov, A. (2009). Internationalization process of Russian construction industry: Inward investments perspective, Journal for East European Management Studies, 2: 210-228.
- Panibratov, A. (2018). Volvo Construction Equipment in China: The joint venture with Shandong Lingong, in J. Paul (ed.) Business Environment, McGraw Hill Educatiion, forthcoming.
- Puffer S.M., McCarthy, D.J., May, R.C., Shirokova, G.V., & Panibratov, A. (2018). Managing emerging markets in Russia, in R. Grosse & K. E. Meyer (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Management in Emerging Markets, Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- Maclennan, M.L., Chueke, G.V., Panibratov, A., Marinova, S., & Klishevich, D. (2018). Latin America: Talent management in the new reality, in M. Latukha (Ed.) Talent Management in Global Organizations: A Cross-Country Perspective, Palgrave Macmillan: New York.
- Panibratov, A., Maclennan, M.L., Chueke, G.V. (2018). Chile: Terra incognita, in M. Latukha (Ed.) Talent Management in Global Organizations: A Cross-Country Perspective, Palgrave Macmillan: New York.
- Latukha, M., Veselova, A., Veselova, L., Poór, J., Fehér, H.J., Tikhonova, V., Selivanovskikh, L., Maclennan, M.L., Chueke, G.V., Marinova, S., Panibratov, A. & Klishevich, D. (2018). Creating a talent management agenda for a global environment, in M. Latukha (Ed.) Talent Management in Global Organizations: A Cross-Country Perspective, Palgrave Macmillan: New York.
- Panibratov, A., & Pantic, B. (2018). Internationalization of Lukoil: A Russian push and pull strategy in Europe, in Suder, G. & Lindeque, J. (eds.) Doing Business in Europe. Third Edition.
- Panibratov, A. (2017). Russian MNEs and Chinese Belt and Road initiative, in J.-P. Larcon (ed.) The New Silk Road: China Meets Europe in the Baltic Sea Region. A Business Perspective. World Scientific: New Jersey: 179-184.
- Panibratov, A., & Ermolaeva, L. (2017). Outward investments from China and Russia: The case of the Sino-Russian Investment Relationship K. Liuhto, S. Sutyrin and J.-M. F. Blanchard (eds.) The Russian Economy and Foreign Direct Investment, Routledge: 173-191.
- Panibratov, A. (2017). Russian oil and gas MNEs investing in China: The role of government in value creation S. Marinova, J. Larimo and N. Nummela (eds.) Value Creation in International Business - Volume 1: An MNC Perspective, Palgrave Macmillan: 279-306.
- Panibratov, A., & Ermolaeva, L. (2016). Outward investments from China and Russia: The case of the Sino-Russian Investment Relationship K. Liuhto, S. Sutyrin and J.-M. F. Blanchard (eds.) The Russian Economy and Foreign Direct Investment, Routledge.
- Panibratov, A., & Ermolaeva, L. (2015). Combining internationalization and autonomy: The case of Russia, in R.V. Turcan, J. Reilly and L. Bugaian (eds.) (Re)Discovering University Autonomy: The Global Market Paradox of Stakeholder and Educational Values in Higher Education’, Palgrave Macmillan: New York.
- Panibratov, A. (2015). The effects of country and industry factors on the competitive advantage of European construction firms operating in Russia, in S. Marinova (ed.), Institutional Impacts on Firm Internationalization. Palgrave Macmillan: New York: 217-237.
- Panibratov, A., & Latukha, M. (2014). Foreign expansion of Russian firms based on natural resources and technology, in M. Marinov and S. Marinova (eds.), Successes and Challenges of Emerging Economy Multinationals. Palgrave Macmillan: New York: 128-157.
- Kalotay, K., & Panibratov, A. (2013). Developing competitive advantages of Russian multinationals through foreign acquisitions, in P.J. Williamson, R. Ramamurti, A. Fleury and M.T.L. Fleury (eds.) The Competitive Advantage of Emerging Market Multinationals. Cambridge University Press: New York: 220-238.
- Panibratov, A., & Latukha, M. (2013). Servicing local customers for entering foreign markets: internationalization of Russian IT firms, in Marinov, M. and Marinova, S. (eds.) Emerging Economies and Firms in the Global Crisis, New York: Palgrave Macmillan: 314-333.
- Jormanainen, I., Panibratov, A., & Latukha, M. (2012). International competitiveness of Russian IT firms: strong rivals or survivors at the edge? in Ch. Mukhopadhyay, K.B. Akhilesh, R. Srinivasan, A. Gurtoo and P. Ramachandran (eds.) Driving the Economy through Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Emerging Agenda for Technology Management, New Delhi: Springer India: 849-858.
- Panibratov, A. (2012) From national leaders to global players: evidence from Russian MNEs in the high technology sector, in Marinov, M. and Marinova, S. (eds.) Internationalization of Emerging Economies and Firms, New York: Palgrave Macmillan: 169-190.
- Panibratov A. (2017) International Strategy of Emerging Market Firms: Absorbing Global Knowledge and Building Competitive Advantages. New York: Routledge.
- Panibratov A. (2012) Russian Multinationals: From Regional Supremacy to Global Lead, London, New York: Routledge, 2012.
Phone: +7 (812) 323 84 53