Introduction. What is sustainable development?
• The purpose, objectives and structure of a course;
• Global challenges. Why should we consider sustainable development?
• Concept of sustainable development;
• Values. Sustainable ethics and lifestyle.
Topic 1. Environmental aspects of sustainable development
• Structure, features and life-cycle of ecosystem;
• Material and energy flows in ecosystem;
• Limited material and energy resources;
• Limited carrying capacity of ecosystems;
• Sustainability of ecosystems and quality of life.
Topic 2. Social aspects of sustainable development
• Social sustainability. Demography and welfare;
• Principles of sustainable consumption;
• Sustainable development politics.
• International cooperation issues;
• Local sustainability strategies in public administration and community development sector
Topic 3. Economic aspects of sustainable development
• Economy and Ecology. Externalities;
• Principles of Sustainable Growth;
• Indicators of sustainable development.
• Sustainable production. Environmental management systems. ISO 14000 standards
Topic 4. Sustainable Urban Development
• Urbanization. Sprawling cities and Shrinking cities;
• Sustainable Cities;
• Sustainable Neighborhoods;
• Sustainable Housing;
• Sustainable Mobility;
• Urban landscapes and open space;
• Redevelopment of urban fabric. Investing in downtowns. Reusing brownfields;
• Sustainable Urban Management. Spatial planning. Authorities and communities.
• Sustainable Utilities (energy, water, waste management, sanitation)