History Online and History Study Center
History Study Centre is an online resource providing a vast collection of digitised primary and secondary sources for the study of history. It is suitable for a wide range of users, from high school students looking for quick and reliable facts on a historical topic, to researchers examining hard-to-find primary source texts.
History Study Centre covers global history from ancient times to the present day. Contents include reference books, essays, journal articles, historical newspaper and magazine articles, maps, rare books, government documents, transcripts of historical speeches, images and video clips. Study Units offer editorially selected material on over 500 historical topics.
History Study Centre provides over 40,000 documents and articles, with over 50 reference works, 3,000 images and links to 2,000 Web sites.
The contents of History Study Centre are divided into five categories, which can be searched separately or together.
- Study Units: selected material on over five hundred historical topics. Some of the content selected for Study Units can also be found in the other searches, while some is unique to the Study Units.
- Historical Documents: hundreds of primary source texts from historical sourcebooks. Most of these documents have transcribed full text which can be searched, others are page images of original documents and only the title and captions are searchable.
- Maps and Reference: thousands of maps, articles and biographies from historical atlases and encyclopedias. Sourcebook details for reference articles, maps and historical documents.
- Also included are Topic Overviews, essay-length introductions to historical themes and texts.
- Multimedia: images and video clips, all captioned to provide historical context, plus links to selected Web sites of interest to historians.
- Journals: Full text articles from 80 journals relevant to history. Articles can be searched or browsed via tables of contents. Many of the journals are regularly updated with recent issues.
Data format: HTML, PDF
Subscription period: January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
Off-campus access: http://cufts.library.spbu.ru/CRDB/SPBGU/resource/196/goto
Off-campus access to SPbU licensed databases requires SPbU ID and Password (Off-campus Database Access Manual)